Most of the articles we have currently on the Sanatorium are from the time the land for the Sanatorium was being purchased and the first buildings constructed and dedicated. There’s no better place to start than the beginning, so lets jump in!
Newspaper: Rockville Tribune
Published: June 19, 1907
CONSUMPTIVE HOSPITAL. Five Hundred Acres of Land Wanted for a Site
” At a meeting of the Indiana Tuberculosis Hospital commission in Indianapolis Thursday June 13, it was decided to divide the State into sections for the purpose of a preliminary inspection of proposed sites for the location of the hospital. The counties of Parke, Vermillion, Vigo, Sullivan, Knox, Davies, Martin, Lawrence, Monroe, Greene, Clay, Putnam and Hendricks were assigned to the secretary of the board, who, upon request of any citizen, or body of citizens, in either of these counties, will make inspection of land that might be offered for sale to the State. The commission will buy not less than 500 acres. Some points to be considered in offering land for sale follow:
1st – The farm should include not less than 500 acres.
2nd – A portion of this land should be not less than 600 feet above sea level.
3rd – A certain part of it should be timbered.
4th – The land should afford a suitable site for building, sloping south, southeast, or southwest, and be well sheltered from prevailing winter winds. It should afford a pleasing landscape.
5th – The soil should be dry, pure, easily drained, and about one hundred acres should have good agricultural qualities.
6th – An abundant supply of pure water should be easily accessible.
7th – The site should be not more than three miles from a railway station and not less than one mile from any city of village.
8th – It should afford good railroad facilities and be easily accessible from any part of the state.
“and be well sheltered from prevailing winter winds. It should afford a pleasing landscape.”Tribune, June 19, 1907
The commission will not pay a high price for land. It is not economical to withdraw from cultivation 500 acres of plow land when perhaps less than 100 will be needed for the institution. Hilly land, affording good pasture for a herd of cows, shade and consequently drainage, building and tenting sites should be the main body. If a good creek flows through or along the land it will be a decided advantage.
The location of a farm and hospital for the treatment of consumption is not at all dangerous to the community in which it is established. On the contrary a marked decrease in this disease has everywhere been the casein the immediate vicinity of all institutions of this nature. It helps dispel the prevailing ignorance among the people, which is one of the worst causes of consumption.
It is hoped that all who have tracts of land for sale, suitable for the farm, will communicate at once with
Isaac R. Strouse
Rockville, Ind. “