This appears to be a partial section of a greater article.
Newspaper: Rockville Tribune
Published: July 31, 1907
” The editor of the Tribune was in Martinsville and Spencer, last week, with the tuberculosis hospital commission, inspecting sites proposed by people of these communities. Martinsville has only one site, and for some reason, it is reported that many of her people so not want the hospital located there. As the town is already full of sanitoriums for the treatment of invalids, it is possible that the location of a hospital by the State on land adjoining Martinsville might not be received with favor. Enough of a thing is sometimes enough. At Spencer the attitude of the people is entirely different. Four sites are proposed, all of them having claims that will recommend them to the commission. One of the sites is the old Calvin Fletcher place. It adjoins the town of Spencer and is now used by the company publishing the Agricultural Epitomist. Mr. Fletcher spent over $50,000 in buildings and various improvements, among which is the spacious brick and stone residence, now the home of the Epitomist. The present owners of the land, (600 acres,) offer the entire property to the State for $22,000, being desirous of aiding a benevolent work undertaken by the State and at the same time securing the location near Spencer. This week the commission will go to Franklin county, where a number of beautiful sites are offered. “
“offer the entire property to the State for $22,000, being desirous of aiding a benevolent work undertaken by the State”Tribune July 31, 1907